Italian Foreign Minister: The mission in the Strait of Hormuz cannot be conducted under NATO leadership
Italian Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani stated that the mission to ensure navigation through the Strait of Hormuz cannot be carried out under NATO leadership, and could instead be implemented by the United Nations or the European Union.
Tajani said upon arriving at the NATO foreign ministers' meeting held in Sweden: "We are willing to participate in international missions organized by the United Nations or the European Union."
Previously, U.S. General Alexander R. Grankov, Supreme Allied Commander Europe at NATO, did not rule out the possibility that NATO allies might consider this proposal.
When asked about the possibility of NATO's involvement in the mission, the foreign minister said: "I believe NATO cannot participate, partly because Turkey would not support it." He emphasized the need to identify "a different model" and "a different international mechanism."
On Tuesday, defense officials from approximately 40 countries convened in a meeting co-hosted by the UK and France. A joint statement released after the meeting stated that the multinational coalition's task of lifting the blockade in the Strait of Hormuz would complement diplomatic efforts to resolve the U.S.-Iran conflict.
+
Original source: toutiao.com/article/1865891021327556/
Disclaimer: This article represents the personal views of the author