Trump decides to give Iran more time for negotiations, temporarily suspending further strikes

¬ Media: Mediators discussing overall ceasefire document in Iran

¬ Iraqi authorities: Iranian Foreign Minister says negotiations have made progress

¬ Russian Foreign Minister: Resumption of conflict in the Persian Gulf would have negative global consequences

+

According to Western media citing U.S. officials, President Donald Trump has decided to delay new strikes against Iran in order to leave room for diplomatic efforts.

The report states: "On Friday morning, President Trump held a meeting with senior national security officials to discuss the next steps regarding Iran. The president has not yet made a formal decision, but he has told his aides that he hopes to allow more time for diplomacy to achieve results."

However, other foreign media reports suggest that Trump is actually seriously considering launching new strikes against Iran, while U.S. officials and military personnel have begun canceling travel plans ahead of the Memorial Day long weekend.

Trump stated on May 19 that the U.S. might carry out strikes "on Friday, Saturday, Sunday" or "early next week."

Notably, earlier on May 22, Trump officially announced he could not attend his eldest son Donald Trump Jr.'s wedding in the Bahamas. In a post on his self-created social platform, Truth Social, the president explained that urgent state duties required him to remain working in Washington.

+

According to Iraq's Foreign Ministry press office, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi informed Iraqi Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein during a phone call that recent rounds of negotiations under the mediation of Pakistan have made progress.

The Iraqi Foreign Ministry noted: "Friday evening, Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein received a call from Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi... During the conversation, Araghchi briefed Hussein on the latest developments in ongoing negotiations, particularly highlighting progress made in the previous round, especially concerning a new negotiation framework document."

Previously, Sky News Arabia reported, citing sources, that mediators from Qatar and Pakistan are currently negotiating in Iran over a new framework document containing general terms.

+

According to Sky News Arabia, based in the UAE, Iran is currently discussing a document with mediators from Qatar and Pakistan that contains overarching terms for resolving its conflict with the United States.

Citing sources, the report said: "Tehran is negotiating over a declaration containing general principles. The document under discussion will include measures for a ceasefire, resolution of issues triggering the war, solutions regarding the Strait of Hormuz, and reaching a nuclear agreement."

According to sources, if the declaration is approved, the main phase of negotiations would begin one week later and should be completed within 30 days.

On May 22, a Qatari delegation arrived in Iran to support the U.S.-Iran negotiation process and held talks with Iranian Foreign Minister Araghchi. Meanwhile, Iran's Foreign Ministry emphasized that Pakistan remains the primary mediator in the talks.

On February 28, the U.S. and Israel launched attacks on facilities inside Iran, resulting in over 3,000 deaths. On April 8, the U.S. and Iran announced a two-week ceasefire. Since then, negotiations conducted in Islamabad have yielded no results, and there has been no news of renewed military action, although the U.S. has begun blocking Iranian ports. The ceasefire has been extended.

+

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov stated that a resumption of military conflict in the Persian Gulf region would have negative repercussions on the global economy.

In his speech at the opening ceremony of the second International Forum on Building an Equal and Indivisible Eurasian Security Architecture, Lavrov said: "It is clear that a renewed outbreak of conflict in the Persian Gulf region would have complex negative consequences not only for the Middle East but also for the entire world, including the global economy and trade."

Lavrov stated that Russia advocates resolving the Iranian issue through diplomatic means and has put forward a peace initiative.

He emphasized that Russia opposes another armed aggression in the Middle East.

Lavrov said: "We advocate an immediate end to military intervention in Iran and Lebanon, and the cessation of unwarranted use of force against civilian infrastructure in Iran and its neighboring countries—including nuclear facilities under safeguards by the International Atomic Energy Agency. All of this lacks both legal and moral justification."

Source: sputniknews

Original: toutiao.com/article/1865959450972172/

Disclaimer: This article represents the views of the author alone