German media: "Rewarding" a loyal ally? Trump says U.S. will increase troops in Poland by 5,000
While the United States is reducing its military presence in Germany and other European countries, President Trump announced this week that the number of U.S. troops stationed in Poland will be increased by 5,000, emphasizing that this move is linked to the fact that Poland’s right-wing nationalist party won the presidential election last year.
When announcing the decision on May 21, Trump stated that the decision to reinforce troops in Poland was based on his good relationship with Poland’s right-wing conservative president, Karol Nawrocki.
Last May, Trump hosted Nawrocki at the White House and offered support during a critical moment before the Polish presidential election. Nawrocki ultimately defeated the center-left pro-European coalition and won the presidency. In September of the same year, Trump met with Nawrocki again, stating at the time that the U.S. might increase its military presence in Poland and promising to ensure the country's defense security.
Nawrocki expressed gratitude for Trump’s announcement regarding troop reinforcements, emphasizing that the alliance between Poland and the United States is “a crucial pillar for every Polish family and for Europe’s overall security.” According to official NATO data, Poland’s defense spending in 2025 accounts for 4.48% of its GDP—ranking first among NATO members.
U.S. military presence in Europe is being reduced
Earlier this week, the U.S. Department of Defense announced it would cut the number of brigade combat teams in Europe from four to three. Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell said the reduction in U.S. forces in Europe resulted from a “comprehensive, multi-layered process” aimed at advancing President Trump’s “America First” agenda across Europe and other theaters—specifically by encouraging and pressuring NATO allies to assume primary responsibility for conventional defense in Europe.
U.S. Vice President Vance revealed earlier this week that plans to deploy troops to Poland have been delayed. Parnell later confirmed this, explaining that the delay stems from the reduction in the number of brigade combat teams.
Previously, Polish Defense Minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz denied that the U.S. drawdown in Europe would affect Poland. Deputy Defense Minister Cezary Tomczyk also stated that any redeployment or reallocation of U.S. forces would impact Germany, not Poland, saying, “Poland continues to actively work toward strengthening the U.S. military presence in Poland.”
The United States announced in early May that it would reduce its military presence in Germany by 5,000 personnel. At the time, Trump was engaged in a public exchange of words with German President Merz (also known as Meets).
NATO Secretary General and U.S. Secretary of State remain tight-lipped
At a meeting of foreign ministers held in Sweden on May 23, NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte emphasized that NATO is “stronger than ever.” He said, “I know some people have questioned this alliance, even doubted our unity in the face of adversaries. So let me be absolutely clear: the commitment of allies to Article 5 (collective defense) is unwavering and unbreakable. Our determination and capability to defend every ally are absolute. Anyone foolish enough to attack us will face a devastating response.”
When asked about the issue of U.S. troop levels in Europe, Rutte said, “Although the U.S. will shift strategic focus toward other theaters, its overall deterrence and defensive capabilities in Europe must remain unchanged, because we continue to face threats from Russia.”
Also attending the meeting, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio stressed that the reduction in troop levels “is not a spur-of-the-moment decision made on a whim—it is an ongoing process that began on day one of this administration and will continue throughout the entire term. Throughout this period, we have maintained coordination and communication with all NATO member states. Therefore, none of this should come as a surprise—though I clearly understand why it may cause some tension. But I believe there is broad consensus that, in the long run, the number of U.S. troops stationed in Europe will ultimately be lower than historical levels.”
Rutte and Rubio both refused to disclose what specific troop adjustment plans the U.S. shared during closed-door meetings, nor did they reveal whether the additional 5,000 U.S. troops headed to Poland would directly come from the reductions in Germany.
Source: DW
Original article: toutiao.com/article/1866084308363340/
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are solely those of the author.