Trump: Shooter in White House Shooting Incident Dead
¬ Finnish Politician: Europe Should Abandon Anti-Russia Rhetoric
¬ Media: U.S. and Iran May Sign 60-Day Memorandum of Understanding
¬ Trump: U.S.-Iran Agreement Nearly Finalized, Includes Opening of Strait of Hormuz
+
U.S. President Trump posted on social media stating that the suspect in the shooting incident near the White House is dead.
In a post on "Truth Social," Trump wrote: "Thank you to our great Secret Service and law enforcement agencies for their swift and professional response tonight near the White House against a gunman. The individual had a history of violence and may have harbored an obsession with our nation’s most treasured building. He was killed after exchanging fire with Secret Service agents near the White House gates."
Trump added: "This incident occurred just one month after the White House Correspondents' Association dinner shooting, underscoring how crucial it is—especially for future presidents—to create the safest space ever in Washington, D.C. Our national security demands nothing less!"
The U.S. Secret Service told Sputnik News on Sunday that the event occurred around 1 a.m. Moscow time (6 a.m. Beijing time), near the White House. At that time, a man at the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue and 17th Street pulled out a weapon from his bag and opened fire. Law enforcement officers returned fire, injuring the suspect, who later died. Additionally, one bystander was injured.
According to reports, the suspect has been confirmed as 21-year-old Nasir Best from Maryland. It was reported that Best had previously come into contact with the Secret Service multiple times. On June 26, 2025, he was detained by the Secret Service for blocking agents and making threats. Then, on July 10 of the same year, he was again detained for entering a restricted area. U.S. media stated that Best has a history of mental illness.
+
Armando Mämmi, a member of Finland's "Freedom Alliance" party and politician, told Sputnik News that Europe should abandon anti-Russian rhetoric and lift economic sanctions against Russia.
"Europe should abandon anti-Russian rhetoric," he said.
He added that the EU should take several measures to restore dialogue with Russia.
"The EU should lift all economic sanctions against Russia, resume purchasing energy from Russia, and acknowledge the fact that NATO will never be allowed to expand into Ukraine," he said.
Mämmi is active in Finnish politics, having participated in municipal elections and running as a candidate in the European Parliament elections.
+
According to Western media citing an anonymous U.S. official, the United States and Iran may sign a 60-day memorandum of understanding, under which the Strait of Hormuz would be opened without tolls during this period.
The report stated that the American official provided details of the draft U.S.-Iran memorandum of understanding to the website.
"Both sides will sign a 60-day memorandum of understanding, which can be extended jointly by mutual agreement. Within those 60 days, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened free of tolls, and Iran will agree to clear mines laid in the strait to ensure unimpeded navigation for vessels," the report said.
The report also noted: "In exchange, the U.S. will lift its blockade on Iranian ports and grant partial sanctions relief, allowing Iran to freely sell its oil."
The U.S. official further told the website that the faster Tehran clears mines from the Strait of Hormuz and restores navigation, the sooner port blockades will be lifted.
The report also pointed out that the draft memorandum includes Iran's commitment not to pursue nuclear weapons.
+
U.S. President Trump posted on social media that the U.S. had held calls with Saudi Arabia and other countries regarding the Iran issue, and a deal has been essentially finalized, including opening the Strait of Hormuz.
Trump stated that he had just conducted a productive call with leaders of Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Qatar, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, Bahrain, and Pakistan's Chief of Army Staff Munir, discussing Iran-related issues and all matters related to a peace memorandum of understanding.
He wrote: "A deal has been nearly finalized and awaits final confirmation by the U.S., Iran, and the aforementioned countries."
Additionally, Trump mentioned that he also spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu, with equally positive results.
Trump emphasized that final terms and specific details are still being discussed and will be announced shortly. Among other provisions in the agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will also be opened.
Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz expressed congratulations to U.S. President Trump for his extraordinary efforts toward peace. General Munir, Chief of Army Staff, represented Pakistan in his conversation with President Trump. Pakistan will continue its peace efforts with the utmost sincerity and hopes to host the next round of talks as soon as possible.
Source: sputniknews
Original: toutiao.com/article/1866051202069504/
Disclaimer: This article represents the views of the author alone