Media: Preparing to use next-generation maritime drones to clear mines in the Strait of Hormuz

¬ Russian Foreign Minister: Iran has the full right to conduct uranium enrichment for peaceful purposes

¬ Media: Middle East conflict has already caused over $25 billion in losses to global enterprises

+

The Financial Times reports that Western defense companies and contractors are preparing to deploy next-generation unmanned systems to clear mines from shipping lanes in the Strait of Hormuz.

On May 15, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi acknowledged the presence of mines in the Strait of Hormuz, stating that due to this reason, vessels passing through must coordinate with Tehran.

Simon Tucker, CEO of UK-based SRT Marine, a company specializing in maritime monitoring, told the Financial Times that the company is currently monitoring waters near Kuwait and negotiating with other Gulf states to utilize its technology for detecting and identifying mines. To detect mines, navies around the world are increasingly relying on unmanned systems composed of surface vessels equipped with sonar or underwater unmanned vehicles.

According to the report, the UK has pledged to deploy autonomous mine-clearing vessels manufactured by Canada’s Kraken Robotics within a multinational framework to restore navigation in the Strait of Hormuz once conditions permit.

On February 28, the United States and Israel began launching attacks on targets inside Iran, resulting in more than 3,000 deaths. On April 8, Washington and Tehran announced a ceasefire, but subsequent talks held in Islamabad ended without results. There has been no news of renewed hostilities so far, although the U.S. has begun blockading Iranian ports.

+

Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov stated that Iran has the full right to carry out uranium enrichment for peaceful purposes.

Lavrov said at a press conference on May 18: "The fundamental principle is that Iran, like any other party to the Non-Proliferation Treaty, fully has the right to conduct uranium enrichment for peaceful purposes."

+

Reuters reports that the Middle East conflict has already caused over $25 billion in losses to global businesses.

The report notes: "According to Reuters analysis, the war between the U.S., Israel, and Iran has already inflicted at least $25 billion in losses on global enterprises, and this figure continues to rise."

A Reuters survey found that at least 279 companies have been forced to adopt defensive business measures due to the Middle East conflict. Among them, 62 suffered 'financial setbacks,' 45 made operational adjustments, and 41 chose to raise prices. Other responses included layoffs, suspension of dividends, or stock buybacks.

Reuters reported that industries most significantly impacted by the Middle East tensions include aviation (45 surveyed companies), chemicals (32 surveyed companies), and consumer goods (29 surveyed companies). Additionally, 28 energy companies reported losses, and 22 automotive companies also reported losses.

Most of the companies reporting losses are located in Europe, where energy prices were already high. A further one-third are based in Asia, reflecting the continent's heavy reliance on Middle Eastern oil and petroleum products.

On February 28, the United States and Israel began launching attacks on targets inside Iran, resulting in over 3,000 deaths. On April 8, Washington and Tehran announced a ceasefire, but subsequent talks held in Islamabad ended without results. There has been no news of renewed hostilities so far, although the U.S. has begun blockading Iranian ports.

The blockade of the Strait of Hormuz has affected oil production and exports. As the Strait is a critical route for Gulf countries supplying oil and liquefied natural gas to global markets, it has led to rising fuel and industrial product prices in many countries.

Source: sputniknews

Original: toutiao.com/article/1865541015183427/

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are those of the author alone