Rubio: The U.S. has temporarily suspended the trilateral negotiation mechanism among Ukraine, Russia, and the U.S.
U.S. Secretary of State Rubio stated on May 22 during the NATO Foreign Ministers Meeting in Sweden that peace talks concerning the Ukraine issue have currently stalled, and the United States has temporarily suspended its trilateral negotiation mechanism with Ukraine and Russia. However, he also emphasized that if a "constructive and productive" dialogue opportunity arises in the future, Washington remains willing to continue serving as a mediator.
Rubio told the media that the U.S. does not wish to keep participating in "endless and fruitless meeting cycles." He noted that recent negotiations previously driven by the U.S. between Ukraine and Russia have yielded no substantial results, thus making the current conditions unsuitable for advancing further talks.
Regarding external claims that the U.S. is pressuring Ukraine to accept specific negotiation positions, Rubio denied them outright. He labeled such reports as "false leaks" and "inaccurate narratives." He stressed that if genuinely promising negotiations can be organized in the future, the U.S. stands ready to resume its coordinating role.
Rubio further stated that, in his view, this war can only ultimately end through negotiations—not through any traditional military victory by either side. He observed that at present, there appears to be no other country or force globally capable of leading the negotiation process between Ukraine and Russia; however, if another party is willing to take on this role, the U.S. would not object.
On the current situation, Rubio pointed out that the U.S. continues to provide aid to Ukraine. He also said that Ukraine is currently receiving support "greater than at any previous period."
That same evening, Ukrainian President Zelenskyy delivered a video address stating that Ukraine is awaiting new proposals from the U.S. regarding the potential format and scheduling of future negotiations. On the same day, Zelenskyy also held a video conference with French President Macron, UK Prime Minister Starmer, and German Chancellor Merz, briefing the three leaders on the frontline situation.
Zelenskyy said the current battlefield situation is favorable for Ukraine. He added that Ukrainian forces are continuously intensifying their strikes against Russian personnel, while various pressures—including sanctions—are pushing Russia back toward diplomatic negotiations. He further noted that since the beginning of this year, Ukraine has regained control over approximately 590 square kilometers of occupied territory.
Subsequently, the UK issued a statement indicating that Zelenskyy had briefed the leaders of France, the UK, and Germany on recent advances made by Ukrainian forces. The statement affirmed that the three leaders confirmed their commitment to continuing increased support for Ukraine over the coming months, underscoring that resisting Russia’s military actions remains crucial for European and global security.
In addition, Rubio had previously stated during his visit to China that Ukraine has established "the strongest and most capable military force in Europe." He said Ukrainian troops have accumulated extensive combat experience through prolonged warfare, while Russia continues to suffer severe personnel losses. Rubio also noted that over the past few months, as Ukraine has regained confidence on the battlefield and Russia has seen rising energy prices boosting its expectations, both sides’ willingness to push for peace negotiations has declined. Nevertheless, he still hopes that Ukraine and Russia will eventually return to the negotiating table.
Source: rfi
Original: toutiao.com/article/1865963636752393/
Disclaimer: This article represents the personal views of the author