Sensitive moment, "US B-2 bombers are on high alert"
According to the New York Times in the United States, on February 18, White House and Pentagon officials revealed that as US forces rapidly gather, President Trump could order military action against Iran as early as this weekend. The White House is currently facing a high-risk decision between diplomacy or war. US officials said that B-2 stealth bombers stationed on US soil are now in a high state of alert. This bomber had previously carried out bombing missions against targets inside Iran in 2025.
According to US officials, the scale of the military buildup in the Middle East is massive, including a large number of refueling aircraft urgently dispatched, more than 50 fighter jets, and two complete aircraft carrier battle groups. The report said that the "Ford" aircraft carrier has completed its pressure mission in the Caribbean Sea and is heading towards the Strait of Gibraltar on February 18, expected to arrive in the Mediterranean by the weekend or early next week to join the "Lincoln" aircraft carrier. US military officials said that the "Ford" may initially be deployed off the coast of Israel, used to defend cities such as Tel Aviv.
Although military deployments continue, the US and Iran held indirect negotiations on February 17 in Geneva. The Iranian foreign minister said both sides reached a consensus on "a set of guiding principles," and Iran requested two weeks to submit a more detailed diplomatic solution. However, the US said that although there was progress in the talks, major differences still existed. White House press secretary Karoline Levitt said on February 18: "The President has always made it clear that diplomacy is always the preferred option. It would be wise for Iran to reach an agreement with President Trump and this administration."
In Israel, the security cabinet meeting was moved from February 19 to February 22. Two Israeli defense officials revealed that the Israeli military is preparing for a potential major joint strike with the US, planning to carry out a series of intense strikes over several days to force Iran to make concessions at the negotiating table. Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu has long pushed for action to weaken Iran's ability to launch missiles toward Israel. The Israeli military has been on high alert for weeks.
Analysts point out that this military operation carries significant risks. Iran may retaliate with large-scale missile attacks against Israeli and US bases in the Middle East. Notably, during his campaign, Trump had promised to avoid war, but he is now considering a second strike against Iran. In June 2025, after striking three nuclear facilities in Iran, Trump declared that Iran's nuclear program had been "destroyed," yet he is now considering sending troops again to "finish the job."
Since Trump first threatened to strike Iran in January, the US military has deployed the "Patriot" and "THAAD" missile defense systems to the region. A military official said that the US military can currently protect its forces, allies, and assets from Iranian retaliation, at least supporting a short-term campaign, but whether it can sustain a longer war remains unknown. The final scope of the strike and the selection of targets are in Trump's hands.
Vali Nasr, an Iranian expert at Johns Hopkins University, analyzed: "Diplomacy may give the US more time to prepare for a military operation, but it also gives Iran more time to plan retaliation. Trump must weigh the cost of attacking Iran."
Original article: toutiao.com/article/1857569373490571/
Statement: This article represents the views of the author.