[Source/Observer Network, Shao Yun] US President Donald Trump, who is eager to get a new presidential aircraft, is embroiled in a "gift bribery" controversy. In addition to legal concerns, US media reports indicate that this "most expensive gift" from the Royal Family of Qatar has also raised alarm bells within the US intelligence community.

Bloomberg reported on the 13th that former US intelligence officials and international security experts stated that if the US accepts the aircraft gifted by a foreign government as the presidential aircraft, the intelligence community would need to spend a large amount of time conducting a comprehensive sweep to eliminate possible tracking or eavesdropping devices before undergoing complex modifications to meet presidential standards, which would be costly, time-consuming, and possibly not completed during Trump's term. An expert quoted by The Washington Post described this as an "intelligence nightmare."

As reported, the aircraft in question is a luxurious Boeing 747-8 manufactured in 2012, previously used by the former Qatari Prime Minister Hamad. Bloomberg cited expert opinions stating that based on US experience, any such gift from a foreign government may carry risks of monitoring, tracking the president and his entourage, and even interfering with aircraft communications.

"If we knew at the time of building this aircraft that it would be gifted to a foreign government, we might very likely install a listening device," admitted Thad Troy, a former CIA station chief. Troy worked for over 30 years in the CIA's covert operations division and recalled that when he was stationed in Moscow during the Cold War, the US embassy even dismantled the bricks one by one to search for hidden listening devices embedded in the concrete.

In the view of James Der Derian, director of the International Security Studies Center at the University of Sydney, although Qatar "is not like the Soviet Union," this Middle Eastern country's intelligence capabilities are "far beyond its size and should not be underestimated."

Local time on May 12, 2025, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, US President Donald Trump boards Air Force One to prepare for a visit to Saudi Arabia. Visual China

The Washington Post said that according to photos of the interior of the aircraft provided by Swiss airline AMAC Aerospace, the center of attention in this incident, this Boeing 747-8 is equipped with two complete bathrooms, nine washrooms, a master bedroom, a guest bedroom, multiple lounges, and a private office. Additionally, this aircraft, which can accommodate up to 89 people, has multiple leather seats on both upper and lower levels.

Mac Plihcik, a Secret Service agent under former President Obama, said that this means the personnel involved might have to "almost strip the plane down to its skeleton and then reassemble it." Paul Eckloff, who served in the Secret Service during Trump's first term, said that due to being a gift from a foreign government, inspections after leaving the production line might also be stricter. "They will examine it piece by piece, asking, 'Is this nut supposed to be here? Is this screw supposed to be here?'"

After completing the basic inspection, the aircraft would still need a series of complex modifications to meet the current safety standards set by the US for the "Air Force One" presidential aircraft - an "airborne command center with nuclear resistance capability."

US officials said that this represents the high-end communication systems on board must be able to resist electronic interference, defend against electromagnetic pulse attacks, and even withstand the impact after a nuclear explosion. Its body must be reinforced and installed with aerial refueling devices, encrypted communications, and weapon systems, among others. Additionally, accommodation space may be needed for White House medical staff and Secret Service personnel on board.

February 15, 2025, Trump visits and this Qatar Boeing 747 aircraft stops at Palm Beach International Airport in Florida. Now, this aircraft has been parked at San Antonio International Airport in Texas for five weeks. Agence France-Presse

According to NBC, commercial and military aviation analysts, and Richard Aboulafia, managing director of US AeroDynamic Advisory, estimate that such modification work will require at least $1 billion, far exceeding the $400 million valuation of this 13-year-old aircraft, and taking several years.

Aboulafia stated that merely equipping the presidential aircraft with aerial refueling capability would be "extremely time-consuming," and after installing all the new systems, the delivery of the aircraft might be delayed until the 2030s, by which time Trump would have already ended his term. Furthermore, since the Boeing 747 was discontinued in 2023, spare parts supply is limited, making the modification project even more difficult. "If he wants to use this aircraft during his term, the only way is to give up many established standards," said Frank Kendall, former US Air Force Secretary.

The Washington Post reported that renowned journalist and historian Garrett Graff described this gift as a "counterintelligence nightmare." Graff, who wrote about presidential security, said that in February, just before Qatar proposed the gift, Trump had already expressed interest in this aircraft, giving foreign intelligence agencies months to study how to infiltrate the aircraft.

On the other hand, international security experts are concerned that even if Trump's administration refuses now, there could still be diplomatic impropriety. Der Derian believes that since gifts hold significant meaning in Arab culture, and Qatar plays an important role in the Gaza issue, this aircraft "now carries a high symbolic significance." He said that if Trump directly refuses, it might disappoint Qatar and other Arab countries that consider hospitality an essential part of their culture.

Trump is scheduled to visit Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the UAE from the 13th to the 16th. If it weren't for the sudden death of Pope Francis last month, this would have been his first overseas trip during his second term. US officials recently stated that Trump's visit will discuss investment and economic cooperation with these three countries, and multiple agreements are expected to be announced.

Just before this Middle East tour, US media suddenly reported that Trump would accept a Boeing 747-8 aircraft gifted by the Royal Family of Qatar as a temporary replacement for the US presidential aircraft "Air Force One," quickly drawing criticism from domestic US public opinion. Not only did the Democratic Party seize the opportunity to question whether Trump was suspected of accepting bribes from a foreign government, but many of Trump's ardent supporters also found it hard to hide their disappointment. "If this is true, it will be a major blemish on this administration," wrote Laura Loomer, a far-right activist, on social media. "I am someone willing to take a bullet for Trump, but I still have to say this."

Trump has repeatedly been asked about the "gift controversy" by the media in recent times, always showing displeasure. He defended the deal as "transparent," saying only "fools" would refuse such a gift. Trump argued that Qatar's gift of the aircraft was a response to US security guarantees, saying, "Without us, they might not be able to survive now. I think this is just a gesture of goodwill." At a press conference on the 12th, he reiterated his dissatisfaction with Boeing's new aircraft replacement contract. "Our 'Air Force One' has been around for more than 40 years... We can't compare to other countries."

This article is an exclusive contribution by the Observer Network and cannot be reproduced without permission.

Original: https://www.toutiao.com/article/7504185300822884914/

Disclaimer: This article solely represents the author's views. Please express your attitude by clicking the "Like/Dislike" buttons below.